Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day of Transition

 Oct 30.  I arrived in Pune around 7 am, after an 8 hour flight from Pittsburgh to Charlotte, an 8 hour flight from there to Frankfurt, 7 hour layover, an 8 hour flight to Mumbai some waiting, then a four hour ride from Mumbai.  I am  in and out of wakefulness, trying  to see something on the way to Pune, but it is still dark.  Looked forward to crashing as soon as I get to my hotel, but...they didn't have my reservation.   So I thought, why not go to the apartment I am supposed to stay starting tomorrow?  It is just a half-mile away and my suitcase rollers still work.  I can't check in until noon anyway.  The apartment is just across from the Iyengar Institute, so I know how to get there, mostly.  I get a couple of good tips from the outgoing tenants, where to have lunch, etc.  I go back to the Hotel where I run into a colleague from Wisconsin having breakfast.  She suggests I sign up for classes at the institute right away, since their office closes at noon, so I do that.  The fog is getting thicker and thicker, but luckily I can now go back and have a rest, after about 40 hours of traveling.  It was lucky I got to do some yoga at the Frankfurt airport. 

Some familiar sites--very few traffic lights, currents flowing from several directions at once—have to pay attention!  Have to walk on left side of sidewalk, just like road traffic; temperature is a comfortable, 90 deg F in the day, about 75 F in the evening; wary of mosquitoes, a few around, mostly in the evening.   

Oct 31.  Settled in my flat (-apartment), first class at the Institute tomorrow morning at 7 am!

No comments:

Post a Comment